Monday, January 18, 2010

Peru: Numero Uno

This entry will be a little short and sloppy because I mostly just need to get this thing off the ground and I haven't really taken the time to organize all my notes yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a better written account.

I'm staying at a place called La Barranca, Peru. It's at the beach due west from Cajamarca. Its a little village where a bunch of families from nearby Guadalupe come every summer basically to party. The reason I'm here is to study the community aspects of it, hopefully I'll be able to learn something that will be applicable back home. I'm also hoping to be able to give something back to the community by doing a little project to make things a little more sustainable and ecologically friendly. My ideas so far are a composting toilet, planting some fruit trees near the river, and setting up trash, recycling and/or compost bins. If anyone has any ideas or input I'd be really grateful.

My favorite spanish phrase I've learned so far:
"Todo los barrios, todo el gente, todo el mundo son una cosa!"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Noah. Well, you picked a bad time to go to Peru. You are missing out on the culture and community aspects of the Washington State Monsoon Season. I saw Socks and Sandal Guy running around in his waders. Hope you have a good time there. We'll be watching your blog.

    ReplyDelete